Dark Circles or discoloration of the under-eye skin tends to age us more than wrinkles or grey hair
What are the causes of Dark Circles ?
Dark Circles can happen due to environmental and internal factors.
- Heredity – dark under-eye circles can run in families.
- Lifestyle factors such as Inadequate sleep, physical or emotional stress, smoking, or chronic alcohol use can take a toll on your appearance.
- Nutritional deficiency (iron deficiency anaemia).
- Nasal congestion (which can dilate and darken the veins that drain from your eyes to your nose).
- Pigmentation irregularities particularly in dark skinned people.
- Frequent rubbing or scratching your eyes.
- Prolonged sun exposure, which prompts your body to produce more melanin, the pigment that gives skin its colour.
- In obese people, thickening of skin (called acanthosis nigricans) with pigmentation can also result in dark circles.
Who can be affected?
Dark circles around eyes affect both men and women, often starting in adulthood, although children can develop dark circles around eyes too.
How can dark circles be treated?
There are two components to dark circles:
- The hollowness due to loss of volume
- The dark color due to hyperpigmentation
The treatment options include
- Lasers- improves color
- Creams- improves color
- Fillers- improves volume
- Fat grafting
Of these fat grafting is the ideal treatment as it improves both the color and the volume
How does fat grafting help?
It helps in 2 ways
- Fat grafting helps restore the lost volume. As it is your own tissue, it is long lasting
- Nanofat stimulates the skin and improves the color